Breast Augmentation FAQs or Augmentation Mammoplasty FAQs
Breast Augmentation, Boob Job or Augmentation Mammoplasty is a perfect surgical procedure for you if you feel that your breasts are asymmetrical, or if you feel that they should be bigger, fuller or have a better projection. Depending on your needs and preferences, you may choose to have a breast augmentation with breast implants or a breast augmentation with a fat graft. Both procedures yield great results and will increase your self-confidence. Below are some great Breast Augmentation FAQs to help.
Melbourne Plastic Surgeons Dr Craig Rubinstein, Dr Rebecca Wyten, Dr Richard Sackelariou and Dr Patrick Briggs perform the Breast Augmentation cosmetic surgery at CocoRuby Plastic Surgery. These expert cosmetic surgeons offer very natural-looking results, a number of implant insertion methods and different types of breast implants including mentor and motiva implants.
Get the Breast Augmentation Surgery guide!
Learn more about Breast Augmentation
What is breast augmentation?
- Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty is a surgical procedure that increases the size of your breasts.
- Breast augmentation consists of placing a breast implant under the breast tissue or behind the chest muscle.
- Alternatively, your surgeon may perform a fat graft, where your fat is taken from a donor site and injected into the breasts to give them more volume. It provides you with excellent, immediately noticeable results and recontours your body for a more hourglass type of figure.
- This is a great procedure if you feel that you are flat chested or that you have no cleavage.
What is breast augmentation with fat transfer?
- Breast augmentation with fat transfer is a surgical procedure (done without implants) that relocates some of the fat from your body to your breasts to enhance their shape and size. The donor site is usually the stomach, the hips or even the thighs.
- This procedure is sometimes combined with breast implants in a Hybrid Breast Augmentation procedure, yielding even better results and higher customisation options.
When was the first breast augmentation?
- The first breast augmentation was performed in around 1895.
- Dr Vincenz Czerny performed the surgery on an opera singer whose breast was removed due to breast cancer.
- This was also the first breast reconstruction surgery.
What is the difference between breast augmentation and a breast lift?
- While breast augmentation enhances the size of the breasts, the breast lift procedure improves the shape and recontours the breasts for a more youthful, rejuvenated look.
- Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that augments or increases the size of your breast.
- Breast augmentation enhances your breast size by an implant or a fat graft.
- A breast lift is a surgical procedure in which extra saggy breast skin is surgically remove breast ptosis.
- In the breast lift procedure, excess skin is removed, the nipple is set at a higher point on the breast itself
What is implant breast augmentation?
- Implant breast augmentation is a surgical procedure that aims at giving your breasts the size you desire.
- It relies on silicone or saline implants placed behind your breast or glandular tissue or even behind the chest muscle.
- Both approaches yield great results.
What is bilateral breast augmentation?
- Bilateral breast augmentation is another name for breast augmentation or breast enhancement surgery.
- It is called bilateral because it addresses both breasts, or both sides, as opposed to unilateral breast augmentation, which may be performed in women who feel that their breasts are not of equal size.
Am I the Right Candidate / Breast Augmentation Prerequisites FAQs
Do you need to lose weight before breast augmentation?
- Many doctors recommend weight loss before breast augmentation.
- As you lose weight, your breasts may also change and reduce in size.
- Coming for a consultation with your specialised plastic surgeon with reduced weight or weight as close to your ideal weight as possible will give the doctor a chase to better assess your state and suggest the appropriate breast augmentation procedure.
Will I need a Breast Augmentation after weight loss?
- You may need Breast augmentation after weight loss.
- As you lose weight, your breasts will also reduce in size since they are partly composed of fat tissue.
- In the case that you’ve lost weight and are not satisfied with the size or the shape of your breasts, you may consider a breast augmentation procedure as a way to restore your breasts to the proportions you desire.
Will I need a boob job after pregnancy?
- You may need a boob job after pregnancy.
- Many women experience significant weight loss after pregnancy and lactating period.
- This weight loss results in a partial reduction of the breasts size.
- If you feel unhappy with the looks of your breasts after pregnancy, you may consider contacting a specialist plastic surgeon who will be able to advise you on your options.
Will I need a breast enlargement after breastfeeding?
- Some women choose to go for a breast enlargement procedure after breastfeeding, although this is not a prerequisite.
- You may experience a reduction in your breast size after breastfeeding, especially if you have lost some weight as well.
- If you feel the desire to enhance your breasts after breastfeeding, you may consider a breast enlargement procedure.
Will I need a boob job when I am old?
- As you age, you will experience some reduction in the volume of your breasts and some skin laxity in the same region.
- This is why many women, especially after 40, decide to have breast implants and a breast lift procedure.
- The combination of the two reduces breast sagging or breasts ptosis and increases the volume of the breasts, rejuvenating and refreshing the look to your breasts.
Boob Job Prep FAQs
Do you need a mammogram before breast augmentation?
- You may not need a mammogram before breast augmentation. However, your specialised plastic surgeon may suggest getting one as a preparation for breast augmentation surgery.
- The surgeon may need this mammogram as a part of their regular check-up or screen for any changes in the breast tissue that may pose some risks for you.
How to find a plastic surgeon for breast augmentation?
- There are a few things to consider when choosing a plastic surgeon for breast augmentation, your surgeon should;
- Be a specialist plastic surgeons, not a cosmetic surgeon,
- Have ample experience in ‘boob jobs’ or breast augmentation,
- Be able to operate in a proper surgical theatre,
- Have a great support team.
- If you can check all the points on our breast augmentation checklist, you have found yourself a great plastic surgeon for your breast augmentation.
- At CocoRuby Plastic Surgery, Dr Craig Rubinstein, Dr Rebecca Wyten and Dr Patrick Briggs do breast augmentation with great results and very low complication rates.
How to plan for breast augmentation?
- It is best to plan for breast augmentation surgery. Make sure that you:
- Understand the procedure of breast augmentation,
- Understand the breast augmentation recovery timeline,
- Are in good health,
- Do not smoke,
- Have had stable body weight for at least several months before the breast augmentation procedure,
- Got enough finances to cover the surgery and the recovery period since you won’t be able to work for a while,
- Are in peace of mind about the upcoming surgical procedure.
What are the Do’s and don’ts after breast augmentation?
- Go for short walks around the house after the first few days,
- Take pain medication as prescribed,
- Follow your surgeon’s advice on when to return to work,
- Have plenty of rest and avoid stress,
- Maintain a healthy diet rich in fibre and vitamins.
- Don’t Sleep on your stomach or your side,
- Don’t Lift anything, including your children,
- Don’t Go swimming, have hot baths or submerge yourself in water for any reason,
- Don’t Smoke!
- Don’t Eat an unhealthy diet
- Don’t Skip any appointments with your specialist plastic surgeon.
What to take to the hospital for breast augmentation?
- Things you should take with you to a breast augmentation surgery, include:
- Any paperwork that your surgeon told you to bring,
- Any lab results,
- A compression garment if is it not provided by your surgeon,
- Comfortable clothes to change after the procedure,
- Do not forget to bring a friend or a family member to the breast augmentation surgery to assist you on your way home.
What to wear to breast augmentation surgery?
- You should wear loose and comfortable clothes for your breast augmentation surgery.
- Be mindful that you will need to change and that tight clothes may slow you down or cause discomfort in putting them back on after the procedure.
- The clothes should not be too warm, as you need some air to circulate your body to prevent excessive sweating.
What happens at a breast augmentation consultation?
- At a breast augmentation consultation, your surgeon will ask you questions related to your health, medical history, and family medical history.
- They may also order some medical testst and bloodwork and ask you about any allergies you may have, the reason for dissatisfaction with your breast size, and any other questions they may find important for your case and procedure.
Breast Enlargement Procedure FAQs
Is breast augmentation major surgery?
- Breast augmentation or breast enhancement is a major surgical procedure that has its risks and possible complications.
- Make sure to fully understand the procedure and potential risks of breast augmentation before opting for one.
How long does breast augmentation surgery last?
- Breast augmentation or a boob job is an outpatient surgical procedure that usually takes around one to two hours.
- You will be given general anaesthesia and may be able to go home the same day for day surgery (Can also stay overnight in hospital).
Is second breast augmentation less painful?
- The second breast augmentation is usually less painful, especially if the procedure is that of breast implants replacement.
- In this case, the surgeon does not need to create a new pocket for the breast implant, and you will experience less pain during the recovery period.
What kinds of Breast Implants are there?
- There are two major types of breast implants: saline and silicone breast implants.
- Saline breast implants are made from silicone shell filled with a saline solution to the desired size.
- Silicone breast implants are made of a silicone casing that is filled with silicone.
- The silicone filling in older implants was liquid and this posed a significant health risk in the case of a rupture.
- The new silicone implants are filled with non-liquid silicone gel to reduce spillage in the case of a rupture.
What are the best breast implants?
- Although there are many different breast implants, silicone has favour over saline-filled breast implants as they retain their shape even after rupture.
- Most silicone implant brands are considered safe to use and go through rigorous testing. The newer Motiva® breast implants are currently considered the best on the market.
- Motiva® breast implants were designed to exceed safety standards of both the USA and the EU regulatory bodies and have, as of 2021, had 0 cases of recalls. They als have TGA Approval in USA.
How do they insert breast implants?
- Implants are inserted into the breasts by one of four possible incisions:
- Inframammary incision – the incision is made under the breast, – By far the most popular incision site
- Transaxillary incision – the incision is made just under the armpit – May be used for Keloid Scar prone or Asian patients.
- Periareolar incision – the incision is made around the nipple – rarely used in Australia
- Transumbilical incision – the incision is made on the belly button – It is very rarely performed and only available for saline-based implants
What is the maximum size of breast implants?
- A typical implant will be anywhere between 300cc and 400cc and is the most comfortable solution for patients.
- In larger patients, a 500cc breast implant may give more noticeable results.
- The biggest breast implant produced in the USA are currently 800cc, but this size will be far too big for most patients.
Breast Enhancement Recovery FAQs
How painful is breast augmentation recovery?
- Like any other surgery, breast augmentation can be somewhat painful.
- Pain medication should keep the pain at bay.
- Most women report very little pain two weeks after the surgery and tenderness that lasts no longer than one month after the surgery.
- You should note that the second breast augmentation is considered less painful than the first and that implant replacement is generally less painful than a breast augmentation procedure.
How safe is breast augmentation surgery?
- Breast augmentation is a major surgical procedure that carries some risks and complications.
- To minimise the risks and post-op complications, you should choose an experienced specialised plastic surgeon with certification who can operate in a proper surgical theatre.
Can I lay flat after breast augmentation?
- You should not lay fat immediately after the breast augmentation procedure.
- You should rest and sleep on your back in a slightly reclined position.
- This reclined position helps reduce swelling after a breast augmentation.
Can I sleep on my back after breast augmentation?
Can I use ice packs after breast augmentation?
- Yes, you can use ice packs after breast augmentation but they should NOT be placed directly on your skin.
- Ice packs after surgical procedures have been shown to significantly reduce discomfort, pain and swelling and speed up breast augmentation recovery. Ensure that you apply no pressure with the ice packs: they should be wrapped and placed on your breast but should not weigh them down.
Can I wear a wireless bra after breast augmentation?
- The best post-breast augmentation practice is to wear a medical bra or a compression garment. This will ensure that your breasts receive anatomical support while healing, and it will also keep them in place.
- A compression garment usually results in visually better results after a breast augmentation surgery.
Can I wear an underwire bra after breast augmentation?
- No, it is not recommended that you wear an underwire bra after breast augmentation surgery.
- A compression garment gives the best support during the recovery.
- You should not wear underwire bras for at least six weeks, or even longer, depending on your specialised plastic surgeon.
Can you tan after breast augmentation?
- You should not tan after breast augmentation.
- Although there is no effect of sunlight on the size or the shape of your breasts, UV radiation may discolour or darken your scars, making them more prominent and difficult to remove later on.
- Also, prolonged sun exposure can make you feel tired and fatigued.
- The breast augmentation recovery period is when you need to get plenty of rest to let your body heal.
How long after breast augmentation can I drink alcohol?
- You should not drink alcohol after a breast augmentation procedure.
- Alcohol dilates blood vessels, increasing chances of complications such as bleeding, hematoma and blood clot formation.
- Avoid alcohol until your specialised plastic surgeon says you can resume drinking.
How long after breast augmentation can I shower?
- You can take quick showers some 48 hours after breast augmentation. Try not to get any bandages wet. You should avoid hot baths, bathtubs and prolonged showers for several weeks at least, and swimming for some 3-6 months.
How long after breast augmentation can I work out?
- You should undertake only mild physical activity after breast augmentation surgery.
- For the first few weeks, you should avoid any lifting or bending over.
- After some two to three weeks post-op, you can resume mild cardio practice.
- At six weeks, you will have healed enough to continue most types of exercise and return to a normal routine.
How long does a breast augmentation take to heal?
- The initial healing process with breast augmentation takes some two weeks.
- After the first two weeks, you will feel almost no pain.
- Complete Breast augmentation healing can last six weeks if there are no post-op complications.
How long does bloating last after breast augmentation?
- Bloating and swelling after a breast augmentation surgery can last 7-14 days after the surgery.
- During this period, it is imperative to wear a compression garment as it can significantly reduce swelling.
- You should also rest with a regular walk around your room or your house to improve the blood flow and shorten the recovery time.
How long does numbness last after breast augmentation?
- Depending on your case, numbness after breast augmentation may last anywhere between several weeks and several months.
- Numbness after breast enhancement is the result of nerve healing and is not a reason for concern.
How long to take off work after breast augmentation?
- Depending on your job, you may need up to three weeks off work after a boob job.
- Labour intensive workers should stay away for at least three weeks, while a desk worker, for example, may go back to work after a week or so.
How tight should a compression garment be after breast augmentation?
- A compression garment after a breast augmentation surgery should be tight enough that you feel that your breast is properly supported even when laying down. However, it should not feel restricting and should not slow down or make your breathing difficult.
- Remember, you should wear a compression garment for at least six weeks after a boob job.
How to make the swelling go down after breast augmentation?
- The best way to make the swelling go down after breast augmentation is to take plenty of rest and sleep.
- Rest in a reclined position, eat a healthy diet and follow any other advice given to you by your experienced specialised plastic surgeon.
- Furthermore, wearing a compression garment after a breast enhancement surgery is a proven way to reduce swelling, prevent new fluid buildup and guarantee better results.
How to reduce scars after breast augmentation?
- You can reduce breast enlargement scars in several ways:
- Give your body time to heal.
- Apply generous amounts of moisturiser daily,
- Use sunscreen whenever heading out, especially if you had the breast implant inserted through the armpit,
- Maintain a healthy diet and take supplements.
- After the scars have matured, you can undertake some scar revision procedures, such as; Healite II, Fraxer Laser or DermaPen, which can significantly fade the scar.
How to relax muscles after breast augmentation?
- Your muscles may take up to six months to completely relax after a breast augmentation.
- Please note that most discomfort will be felt for the initial one to two weeks after the surgery. After this time, you will experience less muscle tightness.
How to shower after breast augmentation?
- You should shower with soap and lukewarm water after a breast enlargement procedure.
- If the water is too cold, the skin may react, and if it is too hot, the wound may become painful, and a risk of infection may also appear.
- The bandages are in general safe to get wet after some 48 hours.
- Showering after a breast enhancement procedure should be quick.
What clothes to wear after breast augmentation?
- After a breast augmentation or a boob job, you should wear loose clothes that are easy to take off and put back on.
- The clothes you wear after your boob job should not keep you too warm; in other words, its important that you dont sweat.
What to do after breast augmentation surgery?
After a breast augmentation surgery, you should;
- Have short, easy walks around the house
- Take pain medication
- Follow your surgeon’s advice on when to return to work
- Get plenty of rest
- Avoid stress
- And in general, do all you can to help your body heal faster.
When can I bathe after breast augmentation?
- You can shower 48 hours after a breast augmentation surgery.
- Taking a bath should wait for at least several weeks after the surgery.
- Your specialised plastic surgeon should know all the details of your case, and based on your healing progress will be able to give you more precise information.
When can I lay on my side after breast augmentation?
- You can lay on your side some two weeks after breast augmentation surgery.
- Remember that even during this period, you should be wearing your compression garment or supportive bra.
- If there are any complications post-op, your surgeon will give you a revised recovery timeline.
When can I lift after breast augmentation?
- You should avoid lifting anything for at least two weeks after a breast augmentation.
- After this period, you can gradually lift more and more weight around your home.
- You should be able to return to the gym and regular exercise some six to eight weeks after the breast enlargement surgery.
- However, you should still avoid heavy weight lifting, CrossFit and other heavily strenuous activities for three to six months.
When can you fly after breast augmentation?
- You can fly when you feel ready to do so.
- Ideally speaking, you should let your body heal for at least a week or two before venturing onto a plane.
- Please understand that you may have to go through some additional screening at the airport due to the compression garment.
When can you run after breast augmentation?
- You can resume slow jogging about 4 to 6 weeks after a breast augmentation.
- However, you will need to wait six to eight weeks before your resume running.
- If you have any concerns or questions about YOUR detailed recovery timeline, contact your specialised plastic surgeon and schedule an appointment.
When do breasts soften after augmentation?
- Your breasts will start to soften some two weeks after the breast augmentation procedure.
- The entire Boob Fluff process can take up to 6 months. After this period, your breasts will be soft and natural to the touch.
Breast Augmentation Risks and Complications FAQs
Can breast augmentation cause cancer?
- Breast augmentation or breast implants do not cause cancer.
- In some women with breast implants, the chances of getting an ALCL (Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma) are somewhat higher.
- Textured breast implants may increase the risk of getting an ALCL, but never breast implants with smooth texture.
Can I breastfeed after breast augmentation?
- Yes, most women can breastfeed after breast augmentation.
- In breast enhancement surgery, the implant will most probably be placed behind the pectoral muscle in your chest so it does not interfere with the glandular tissue that produces milk.
- Some women may experience a reduction in milk production after a boob job, but remember that you can always supplement a baby’s diet with formula.
Do I lose feeling in my nipples after breast augmentation?
- You may feel numbness and a loss of feeling in your nipples after breast augmentation.
- Usually, the feeling returns after a week or two and increases in intensity as time passes.
- A woman rarely loses sensitivity in her nipples permanently post breast augmentation.
How does pregnancy affect breast augmentation?
- Pregnancy does not affect breast augmentation.
- During pregnancy, you should avoid getting any surgeries performed on you, but there is no danger for you or the baby if you already have breast implants.
- You should understand that your breast will change in volume during pregnancy, so you may be less satisfied with what they look like. This increase in volume usually fades away as milk production during the lactating period slows down.
How soon after breast augmentation can capsular contracture occur?
- Capsular contracture can start forming as early as four to six weeks after the breast augmentation procedure.
- Capsular contracture is a normal occurrence, as the body tries to isolate the implant from the rest of the tissues. The body does so by forming a very thin layer of scar tissue around the implant. In some cases, this scar tissue can get thick and, in extreme cases, even start calcifying.
- This is the problematic kind of capsular contracture with breast implants, but it occurs very rarely, as most women do not experience any issues even long after a breast enhancement procedure.
What is symmastia after breast augmentation?
- Symmastia or ‘uniboob’ is a slippage of breast implants from their resting pockets and towards the sternum. The breast implants in this case look like one large breast.
- This may happen for various reasons, but most often, it happens when you choose breast implants that are too large for your body or when your tissues get thinner as you age or as the breast implants pull them down.
- Symmastia is a rare occurrence that demands a specialised plastic surgeon to resolve the situation.
Augmentation Mammoplasty Financing FAQs
How much is breast augmentation surgery?
- Primary Breast Augmentation surgery prices are around $7,000 to $17,000 in Australia
- Please beware of any suspiciously cheap breast augmentation prices as they can indicate one or more of the following:
- An undertrained doctor performs the surgery NOT An experienced specialist plastic surgeon
- The surgery is NOT done in a hospital setting,
- The surgery is NOT done in a proper surgical theatre,
- The surgeon does NOT have a proper support team,
- The price does NOT include some necessary items, which you have to pay on top of the cost.
- A “pop up” cosmetic clinic – either The doctor or clinic may not be there in future
- In general, a higher breast augmentation price means:
- High surgery standards
- An experienced specialised plastic surgeon with greater expertise and better results – you pay for what you get.
- Reduced breast augmentation risks and complications
- Newer methods are being used, increasing your comfort and shortening the recovery time
The best time to get surgery right is the first time. Some things can’t be fixed with revision surgery.
How much is breast augmentation surgery in Melbourne?
- Breast augmentation prices in Melbourne vary from AUD 7.000 to AUD 20.000.
- You may be tempted to seek a lower price, but remember that the lower price may not include all the services and medication you may need. You may end up paying a higher price through additional costs and revision surgery.
How much is fat graft breast augmentation?
- Fat graft breast augmentation prices start at some AUD 6.000 and up.
- Please beware of prices and deals that sound too good to be true since they may not include all the services you may need for a successful procedure and recovery.
- Fat graft breast augmentation is a complex surgical procedure that consists of liposuction and then fat grafting.
- It is a complex procedure demanding an entire team of people to ensure comfort and safety.
How much is breast augmentation with implants in Melbourne?
- Primary Breast augmentation with implants in Melbourne costs anywhere between AUD 7.000 and AUD 20.000.
- The price should be indicative of the level of service you get.
- Higher quality, smooth silicone implants may cost more but provide you with an added benefit of faster recovery, fewer complications and decreased risks of developing an ALCL, a rare type of cancer that sometimes appears in women with textured, low-quality breast implants.
Is breast augmentation covered by Medicare?
- Breast Augmentation is an elective cosmetic surgery that Medicare very rarely covers. If it is for purely cosmetic purposes – it is not covered. Here are the conditions for Breast Augmentation coverage by Medicare.
- Congenital Breast Asymmetry – If you opt for a unilateral breast augmentation for asymmetry issues – to compensate the size of a breast that is significantly smaller than the other, you may be eligible for partial reimbursement.
- Post Breast Cancer Surgery – If you want to have a breast augmentation with implants as reconstructive surgery post cancer, you may also qualify for partial or full coverage. This type of coverage is provided to women who had a complete mastectomy after getting breast cancer. You must meet the strict criteria.
How can I afford Breast Enlargement?
- Breast enlargement may seem a pricey procedure, but the benefits outweigh the cost in most cases.
- If you cannot afford the procedure immediately, there are great savings plans and other Payment Plans and Medical Finance for surgery that you may apply for.
Can I finance Breast Augmentation?
- Yes, Breast Augmentation is a commonly financed plastic surgery procedure.
- You can also use interest-free or low-interest credit cards to pay for breast augmentation surgery.
Last updated: 22/02/2022